OPTICITIES is about to celebrate its 1st year (it started in November 2013) and is already achieving its first results.
The European dimension of OPTICITIES project is ensured by a consortium of 25 partners from 8 EU member states. The consortium includes 6 city authorities (Grand Lyon, Birmingham, Goteborg, Madrid, Turino, Wroclaw), major ITS actors: research institutes, information service providers, car industry (HaCon, Spie, CityWay,Volvo) and the most important networks of European cities and international public transport operators (EUROCITIES, UITP).
Objectives : OPTICITIES is associating major cities, groups and SMEs at the forefront in these fields in Europe to develop:
- Genuine multimodal solutions. For once ITS solutions will not be a juxtaposition of mono-modal approaches exclusively focused on public transport. Multimodal solutions will be based on reliable data for every mode and combination, with optimised end-user HMI, and will involved the car industry as well as public transport and soft mode actors.
- European interoperability of urban mobility data and mobility solutions. Based on an open ITS system, the standards developed in OPTICITIES will provide cost effective and seamless multimodal services.
- Enhance network operators’ supervision capacity and management efficiency thus allowing for smart and adapted decision making processes.
- Develop, try out and assess high-level innovative multimodal information and transport management services. These services will target transport managers, travellers and freight transport users or fleet managers.
- Enhance users’ accessibility to mobility services through the display of coherent and highly reliable multimodal information.
Innovation breakthroughs of the project are:
- New monitoring devices and sources : data collection through users, new means for urban freight data collection, real-time road works data collection, multimodal real time data collection;
- Building of a standardised Urban mobility dataset and access portal: definition of a European standard for the Multimodal Urban Dataset and its interfaces between public authorities and service providers; development of a contractual architecture between private and public actors for data access, data exchange and service provision.
- Developing innovative services for multimodal and predictive management of urban networks: optimisation of urban networks exploitation through the development of traffic prediction tools and their integration into traffic management systems; integrated multimodal management allowing better allocation of means to support mobility demand.
- Developing innovative services for end-users ensuring service continuity between vehicles and smartphones: deployment of multimodal urban navigator on smartphones in the partner cities; service continuity between in-vehicle navigation system and the multimodal urban navigator.
- Developing innovative services for urban logistic: urban freight navigator; tools for urban freight management.
To gather stakeholders from the ITS world and ensure a durable link with them, OPTICITIES is about to launch its Stakeholder Forum which will gather stakeholders from the ITS world and ensure a permanent link with them. This active group will contribute to create the framework to deploy OPTICITIES outputs on a European scale. Registration will open in he coming days/weeks on OPTICITIES website.